The cost of the 2022 International Geography Championships is $1950. This includes 7 nights accommodations, meals beginning with lunch on July 3, and ending with breakfast on July 10.
Update May 7: The University of Vermont has informed us that they will not be able to provide linen packets. Thus please bring your own sheets, pillow, blanket, (or sleeping bag). We apologize for the inconvenience. Please see below for accommodation options for each Age Division.
1. Elementary Division students are required to attend with a parent or legal guardian. The base price of $1950 includes one room at single occupancy for the competing Elementary Division student. The rate includes all three meals every day for the student.
1a. There is an additional charge of $70 per night for a parent or other sibling to stay in this room with the child.
1b. If a family is willing to have their child share a room with another child of the same gender (or a sibling of any gender), then the rate for double occupancy in the Elementary Division is $1750. If a family has two competing children in the Elementary Division, then they would pay $1750 for each student.
2. If an additional room is desired for family member(s), then that room costs $125 per night for double occupancy or $100 per night for single occupancy. A supplemental meal plan is available for other family members for $250 (see below for details).
3. All Elementary Division students who are staying in standard accommodations will stay on the Athletic Campus at University Heights, which is a 10-15 minute walk from the center of campus. These rooms are air conditioned and have private or semi-private bathrooms (i.e. shared with one other room).
4. If desired, Elementary students can compete on a Day Student basis, where students stay with a parent or guardian outside the University of Vermont or Champlain College. The cost for this option is $1550. The Day Student rate includes all three meals. All Day Students must have a designated adult who will be physically present at the International Geography Championships who will act as their guardian unless they are 18 years old as of July 1, 2022. This designated parent or guardian must sign students in and out officially so that IAC is aware when they are signed out from the International Geography Championships.
6. See the Family Suite option at Champlain College as described below.
High School and Middle School Divisions
1. High School and Middle School Division students are not required to attend with a parent or legal guardian. Parents, guardians, and other family members of High School and Middle School Division students are welcome to stay in dorm rooms at University Heights on the Athletic Campus for $100 (single occupancy) or $125 (double occupancy) per night. A supplemental meal plan is available for purchase for anyone staying on campus and costs $250. The base price of $1950 includes one double room for the competing student. Students should expect to have a roommate unless they pay for a single-occupancy supplement of $200. The rate includes all three meals.
2. The High School and Middle School Division rate of $1950 is based on double-occupancy. The single-occupancy rate is $2150.
3. All High School and Middle School Division students who are staying in standard accommodations will stay at the Central Campus Residence Hall in the center of the University of Vermont campus. These rooms are air conditioned and have centrally located bathrooms.
4. High School and Middle School Division students are not permitted to stay with their parents or younger siblings on the Athletic Campus at University Heights, as we are encouraging students who are old enough to make friends in a residential setting who also share an interest in geography. The sole exception to this is if a medical waiver is provided in the form of a signed letter from a physician detailing the need for a student to stay apart from their peers (including an explanation why a single-occupancy room would not suffice). Likewise, parents, family members, and guardians are not permitted to stay at the Central Campus Residence Hall where Middle School and High School Division students will be staying.
4. If desired, High School and Middle School Division students can compete on a Day Student basis, where students stay with a parent or guardian outside the University of Vermont or Champlain College. The cost for this option is $1550. The Day Student rate includes all three meals.
5. See the Family Suite Option at Champlain College below if an accompanying family group is interested.
Family Suite Option at Champlain College
For Elementary Division students and their families OR for families of Middle School and High School Division students (though not the competing students themselves unless a medical waiver is provided), we have a limited number of four person suites at Champlain College. These rooms consist of four single beds in four separate single rooms, though a bed may be moved from one room to another to create a double bed if requested.
The current available number of such suites is 0 (last updated on May 23) – they are being offered on a first-come, first-served basis. These cost $225 per family per night for seven nights, thus $1575 total. If a competing Elementary Division student (or Middle or High School Division student with medical waiver) is sleeping in the suite as well, the price of the suite for the week is reduced to $1175 for quad occupancy. This may thus be a good option for families coming with two adults and one additional child (or three additional adults, or one adult and two additional children). There is no discount available if fewer than 4 people use the room. Family suites at Champlain College are not available for extension for the night of July 2, nor after for the night of July 10.
Additional Meals for Attending Family Members and Guardians
A supplemental meal plan for anyone staying on campus costs $250. This includes lunch and dinner on July 3, breakfast on July 10, and all meals in between with the exception of lunch and dinner on the day of the Montreal day trip. It is not possible to purchase meals a la carte through IAC. All meals are provided buffet-style.
Additional Room Nights
Additional room nights are available on July 2 and July 10 at the University of Vermont.
High School/Middle School students: The cost for these is $100 per student per night, with the assumption that there will be double occupancy. Students requesting a guarantee for a single room must pay $150 per night.
Elementary Students: $100 per night for single occupancy. $125 for elementary student and parent or sibling in the same room (double occupancy).
Families: $100 per night for single occupancy and $125 per night for double occupancy.
Financial Aid / Fundraising
There is some financial aid available through other measures such as being a parent volunteer at IAC events or by becoming a question writer (if you are in high school and have been competing at a high level for at least two years). IAC can also provide advice on how to fundraise (e.g. we can prepare a fundraiser packet for you to help find donors in your community and provide quiz questions and instructions for running a quiz night as a fundraiser – you can easily raise up to $500 or more this way) and assist with press releases that can help you get noticed by people and businesses who might support you. We can also provide an official letter of qualification that you can use for a www.gofundme.com campaign to support your registration fees and travel costs. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in any of these methods.
Remember also that if it is an option, carpooling may significantly reduce travel costs.
There is no cost to be an Official Spectator, though for certain field trips, there will also be charges if IAC handles the transportation and payments.
If a pandemic-related cancellation of the International Geography Championships takes place in advance of it, then participation fees will be reimbursed in full, minus any transaction fees we incur through sending wire transfers. If cancellation needs to take place during the event itself, then registration costs will be refunded on a prorated basis depending on how much of IGC has taken place until then.
Aside from Covid-19 related reasons, refunds will be provided in full until March 31, 2022. From April 1 until June 1, 2022, a 50% refund will be provided. After June 1, no refund, except for Covid-19 will be provided. As IAC needs to pay unrecoverable costs based on projected enrollment in advance of IGC (e.g. securing guaranteed accommodations, hiring staff, buying tickets, etc.), we regret that there are no exceptions to our refund policy no matter how extenuating the circumstances.
Airport Pickups / Train Station Pickups
IAC can provide airport or train station pickups for students coming to the International Geography Championships without an accompanying adult. There is no cost for train pickups at Essex Junction or Burlington, nor for airport pickups at Burlington International Airport. IAC will not provide pickups at any other airport, but there are numerous flights to Burlington from other US airports in New York City, Chicago, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, and Charlotte (though not Boston). Students coming with an adult must take a cab, Uber/Lyft, or rental car from the airport or train station to the on-site check-in location.
- Payments will be accepted by the following methods: US $ denominated check, Credit card via Paypal (fees apply), Wire transfer (fees apply), Flywire (for payments from outside the USA only) – has slightly lower fees than Paypal or wire transfers.
- An invoice will be provided upon registration with payment instructions; if desired, a receipt can be issued as well.
- If a pandemic-related cancellation of IGC takes place in advance of it, then participation fees will be reimbursed in full, minus any transaction fees we incur through sending wire transfers. If cancellation needs to take place during the event itself, then registration costs will be refunded on a prorated basis depending on how much of IGC has taken place until then.